Skip to main content

Cheiromancy... Wait, what?

Hey friends! I hope Relief Society today was as inspiring for you as it was for me. Unless you're a man, that is, and then I hope you are working to help your Priesthood class discussion reach our level.  (Just teasing!) We were reminded today that GRATITUDE is the name of the game, and I absolutely and 100% agree. Elder Uchtdorf put it this way, "I’m suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances—whatever they may be." That is the idea!! And I'm so happy to be in these circumstances right now. Here are the golden moments of the week.

I went to the opera!! It was recently brought to my attention that I had never been, and so I decided to be a rebel, put aside my mountain of homework, and go to The Marriage of Figaro at BYU. It was kind of up in the air who I would go with, and just a couple hours before the show, I remembered my dear mission companion (Revelation? I think so.) and texted her, and we had a great opera date. Also, opera BLOWS my mind. I love it.

Later this week, I was working on an annotated bibliography for my British Literature class. The focus is The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde (whom I love. Crazy man, not a good life, but a brilliant writer. His novels and plays are fantastic.), and I was searching for an article that appeared alongside it in a certain magazine. The title of this other article was The Cheiromancy of To-Day, and I could NOT find it for the life of me. Miracle of all miracles, it was still only 10:30 on a Saturday night, so I pulled up the BYU Librarian chat and asked for help. Within a matter of minutes, they located the article for me, (Hallelujah!!) and guess what? Cheiromancy is actually the technical name for palm reading. Palm reading?? When else do I get to read about palm reading for a BYU research project? This is bliss.

**Not that I buy into that stuff... but it is always good to know that some people think you'll develop a serious illness in your old age due to hard work, or that you're likely to live 90 years despite that illness because you've got three little lines on your wrist instead of just two...

Also, my Mom, Dad, and I had a funny discussion about physical affection and the expression of love today. We agreed that our family is a veeeeery conservative one, and I have definitely inherited part of that. However, I also need to take the new Latin side of me and set my own expectations for my life, and lets be honest- sometimes I just need these American people to hug me, okay?? Tonight, just after family prayer, my cute daddy came and gave me a big hug before going to bed. What a good man.

The point is- Hug your children. Be grateful.
I rest my case.


At the opera with Hermana Call
En la opera con Hermana Call
                              
Hola amigos! Espero que la Sociedad de Socorro les inspiró tal como me inspiró a mi hoy día. A menos que sea hombre... Entonces espero que ayuden a elevar el nivel de conversación en su clase para que sea como la nuestra. (Broma!) Hoy día nos acordaron de la importancia de la GRATITUD, y estoy cien por ciento de acuerdo. Elder Uchtdorf lo dijo asi, ´lo que quiero decir es que en vez de estar “agradecidos por cosas”, nos concentremos en estar “agradecidos en nuestras circunstancias”, cualesquiera que sean.´ Estoy tan agradecida estar en estas circunstancias, y de verdad me siento tan feliz. Aquí estan algunos momentos especiales de la semana.

Fui a la opera!! Reciente alguién me acordó que yo nunca había ido, entonces decidí ser un poco rebelde y dejar todo mi tarea a un lado para asistir al Casamiento de Figaro. No era muy decidido con quien iba a ir, pero dos horas antes de la opera, me vino a la mente el nombre de mi querida compañera, )Revelación? Creo que si.) y la envié un mensaje. Pasamos muy bien, y la opera me fascinó!! Me encanta.

Un poco despues en la semana, estaba trabajando en una bibliografía extensa para mi clase de literatura. El enfoque es La Cuadra de Dorian Gray, por Oscar Wilde (él me encanta. No era un hombre tan bueno y vivió una vida muy loco, pero escribe con un estilo increíble. Un genio.) y estaba buscando a un articulo que se publicó junto a Dorian Gray. Se llama La Quiromancía de Hoy, y no podía encontrarlo!! Sin embargo, por milagro todavía era sabado a las 10:30, entonces abrí el sitio web de la biblioteca de BYU y mandé un mensaje a un bibliotecario. Me contestó y encontró al tiro el articulo que buscaba, (Aleluya!), y saben que? Quiromancía quiere decir el estudio de las manos, y yo jamás he podido leer un articulo asi para mi tarea. Que diversión...

**Para que sepan, no creo en esas cosas. Pero a veces es bueno saber que algunos personas creen que vas a caer enferma en su viejez por causa de trabajo excesivo, o que vas a vivir 90 años a pesar de esa enfermidad, porque tienes tres lineas pequeñas en tu muñeca en vez de solo dos... Que raro.
                                       
Tambien, hoy día conversé con mi mamá y papá sobre le atracción física y las expresiones de amor, y decidimos que tenemos una familia muuuuuy reservado. He heredado mucho de eso, pero tambien decidimos que ahora necesito tomar todo lo que aprendí de la cultura Latina y fijar mis propios expectativas. A veces simplemente necesito que esos gringos me abrazan, cachai?? Hoy día, despues de nuestra oración familiar, mi papito me abrazó fuerte. Que buen hombre.

El punto es- Abrazen a sus hijos. Sean agradecidos.
Fin. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante