Skip to main content

In Love, Are We?

What if I began this post by telling you all that I was in love? For that is, indeed, what I wish to write about today. Doubtless you would think that I was talking about some cute guy in one of my classes, or one of my nice coworkers, and you'd smile a little to think that I'd be smitten in so little time after returning home from my mission. Well, my dear people, I will not deny that this is a probable assumption after reading my first sentence, that "I am in love."

But let's think about this a different way.

This week I spent more time with Sydney, my sister, than I have in a long time. I stayed with her one evening after classes to help her with a paper, we studied together for a Humanities test that we have, we went to True Blue Foam (see picture below) together, donated blood one evening, went on a family outing to Salt Lake City, etc. One night I was texting her and realized- "You know what? Sydney is one of my best friends!! I love being around her, and I have more fun when I'm with her than when I'm with practically anyone else."

What a tender turn-around! She has always been my sister, but she has never been my friend like she is now. What a lovely, sweet surprise to find her written on my heart in a new way. I ought always to have seen it so, and it was always in my hands to open up that place for her, but somehow it just never clicked until now. Kirsten, on that note, is taking a similar place. We live together, joke together, dance together to our Country playlists, and she laughs at my idiosyncrasies all day long... (In fact, she has a running list that she sends to Sydney whenever I say something dumb or make a joke that she finds obnoxious. I don't know when she began disliking puns...) She is a crazy girl, but I love feeling my heart expand as I try to just accept her, to open myself to the way she is, make her my sister and friend and confidante no matter what differences we have.

Lessons learned this week: 1) Sisters are hidden treasures; I waste them if I close my eyes to all that they might be. 2) The more I seek, the more I fall in love with people at my side. Are we not all God's dear children? I have EVER loved Relief Society, and always will, and our class today reminded me how freely that love flows if we will only open up.

The problem, then? "In love" has such a restrictive definition in the common usage. Having studied language a fair amount, I understand that meaning changes through time, that words are not solid objects, and that definition, implication, and connotation are all very different things. I don't know when "in love" became an expression for what I might feel towards some cute guy, but I'd argue that it ought to mean much more. After all, I feel as in love with my sisters as I have ever been, and I DON'T mean that in a weird way. They just complete me, that's all.
At the BYU Football game with Kirst
Partido de fútbol americano con Kirst

Blue Foam with friends- Fun!!
Espuma Azul con amigos- Que divertido!!

Her first time giving blood...
Fue su primera vez...
Que pasaría si yo empezara con decirles que estoy enamorada? Es del amor que voy a escribir hoy día. Sin duda, pensarán que refiero a un chico lindo que conocí en una de mis clases, o a un compañero de trabajo que me cae muy bien,  y se reirán al saber que tardé tan poco tiempo. Seguro que pensarán algo así, y les entiendo.

Pero vamos a pensar de otra manera.

Este semana pasé mucho tiempo con mi hermanita, Sydney. Me quedé tarde un día ayudándola con una tarea que tenía, estudiamos juntos para un examen de las Humanidades que tenemos, fuimos a La Espuma Azúl juntos, (vean la foto arriba), donamos sangre juntos, fuimos a Salt Lake City con nuestra familia, etc. Una noche le estaba escribiendo por mensaje de text y me dí cuenta, "Sabes? Sydney es una de mis mejores amigas! Me hace reir y me divierto más con ella que cualquier otra persona." 

Que tierno, cierto? Siempre ha sido mi hermana, pero nunca ha sido mi amiga tal como es ahora. Fue maravillosa verla escrito en mi corazon de esta nueva manera. Debí haberla visto antes, y siempre estaba en mis manos abrir mi corazón, pero tardé hasta ahora en hacerlo. Kirsten también está empezando tomar ese mismo lugar. Vivimos juntos, bromeamos juntos, bailamos juntos a la musica Country, y ella me burla por las cosas tontas que digo. (De hecho, tiene una lista y la envía a Sydney a menudo...) Kirsten es loquita, pero me encanta sentir que mi corazón ensancha mientras intento aceptarla, abrirme a su manera de ser, hacerla mi amiga, sin importar las diferencias que tenemos.

Cosas que aprendí este semana: 1) Hermanas son tesoros escondidos. Los desprecio si no abro mis ojos para ver lo que realmente pueden ser. 2) Lo más que busco hacerlo, lo más que me enamoro de las personas que me rodean. Siempre me ha encantado la Sociedad de Socorro, y hoy día en nuestra clase me acordé cuan facilmente podamos enamorarnos con todo si decidimos hacerlo.

El problema, entonces? La frase "estar enamorado de" es demasiado restringido en el uso que actualmente la damos. Estudio el lenguaje y sé que las palabras no son inmutables, que el significado cambia tras tiempo, y que hay una diferencia entre el uso de una palabra, la connotación, y la implicación. No sé cuando la frase llegó a ser una expresión por la atracción que siento por un chico lindo, pero pienso que debe tener un significado mucho más amplio que actualmente tiene. Estoy más "enamorada" con mis hermanitas que nunca, sin decir nada extraño. Me hacen sentir completo. !Así es!

Comments

  1. Ahhhhh-so glad you've started another blog!! I've missed your posts :-) What a great blessing to have those wonderful sisters of yours as good friends :-) My daughters are two of my best friends and I'm so grateful for the relationship we have :-)
    I love you, Erica!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante