Skip to main content

Funny, right?

Man, I couldn't even wait until Sunday to start this post! If what follows seems incoherent, that probably results from the weekend of picking and editing and adding that I did. Who knew I would so easily fall into the comfort of casual web-style writing? Love it!!

I found myself sincerely surprised by the feel of the week. There were not so many big events, like the one that came before, but here are some quiet highlights:
  •  Miracle 1: Having a Mom willing to wake up in the night to watch a lunar eclipse with you. My mother is a gem.
  •  2: Having SO MUCH reading to do, and resigning myself to a very long and tedious night. I found myself dozing, despite the straight-back kitchen chair and bright lights.... Miracle? Just three songs on Just Dance woke me up well enough to finish the whole reading assignment. I even got to bed by 12:30 that night. Score for mixing work and play!!
  •  Miracle Number 3. (This may seem trivial, but I'll explain myself. Just wait.) I work in the High School Relations Office at BYU, and after doing some mailings, I went to the bathroom to wash the smell of rubber bands off my hands. Hot water, nice foamy soap, and then... Do you realize how thick the paper hand towels are in that bathroom?? They are amazing!! I found myself laughing in shock at their sturdiness- there was no clumpage or disintegration, and I so enjoyed the moment.  How had I never realized that before? The real miracle was in the realization that the Lord truly is a gentle, funny man, and that He wants us to share his small happiness and get his inside jokes. I can just picture Him smiling and chuckling, "Come on, the paper towels, Erica!! Just feel them, they're really good! Isn't that a GREAT eternal creation??" 
I had thought of sharing another, but I'll finish on that point. The Lord's word is no joke. I worship Him as my eternal God, respect Him as my loving maker, and love Him as my cheerful Father. However, "to every thing there is a season..." (Eccl. 3:1) and in God's expansive plan for all ages, there is even "a time to laugh" (vs. 4) at the little dumb things! Isn't that a miracle?




!Que rapido que pasa la semana! A pesar de no tener muchos eventos grandes, disfruté mucho de la semana. Aqui están algunos momentos preferidos:

  • Milagro numero 1: Tener a una mama que está dispuesta madrugarse conmigo. Este semana había un eclipse lunar, y yo querría despertarme a las 4:30 en la mañana para verlo, (Estas cosas solo pasan una vez en la vida, cierto? Tenemos que aprovechar!), y mi mamá se despertó para pasarlo conmigo. Que mujer más maravillosa!
  • 2: Tenía MUCHA lectura de mis clases de la universidad, y me había resignado quedarme despierta por casi toda la noche leyéndola. A pesar de sentarme en una silla muy incomoda en la cocina y prender todas las luces, pronto me estaba quedando dormida. El milagro? Bailar solo 3 canciones en el juego Just Dance me despertó lo suficiente para terminar todo mi lectura y acostarme a las 12:30. Siiii!!!!
  • Milagro number 3. (A la mejora este va a parecer triviál, pero espere- me explicaré.) Trabajo en la oficina de ingreso en BYU, y después de preparar todos los envíos del día, fuí al baño para quitar el holor de banditos plásticos de mis manos. Agua caliente, jabón espumoso, y después... Te das cuenta cuan gruesos son esas toallas de papél?? Son geniales!! No se aglomeraron, ni rompieron, ni nada, y disfruté tanto del momento. Como que nunca me había dado cuenta? El milagro real fue el recordar que el Señor es un hombre simple, graciosa, y que él quiere compartir con nosotros su felicidad sencillo y sus bromas pequeñas. Puedo verlo sonriendo y diciéndome, ¨Erica, las toallas de papél!! Tócalas, son muy buenas! Es una buena creación eterna, no?´ 
Había pensado compartir otro pensamiento, pero terminaré con eso. La palabra del Señor no es broma. Le adoro como mi Dios eterno, le respeto como mi creador amoroso, y le amo como mi padre alegre. Sin embargo, ´Todo tiene su tiempo´(Eclesiastés 3:1) y en el plan imenso del Señor, existe aun ´tiempo de reir´ (vs. 4) a las cosas tontas. Que milagro!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante