Skip to main content

I Touched a Blue Rhino

No, I actually didn't. (Touch a blue rhino, that is.) That was just the random title that I wrote in my cousin's missionary email today, and it kinda stuck to me...

Aside from that creative burst, I'm feeling GOOD today, for multiple reasons. First of all, finals are over!!!!! I'd write a whole paragraph on how relieving that is, but it'd just be cliche. Second of all, I attended two Christmas programs today, one of which was the homecoming of my dear friend. This sparked a lot of Christmas reflection, and those swirling thoughts and feelings continue to warm my heart. Third, do you realize what was on TV today?! Sound of Music- -The Sing Along version!!! How did I not know that existed?? My world is changed. For reals. And my Mom made me a cheese log, which I ate while watching Sound of Music. *sigh* Life is too good.

Let's not forget, however, some of the BYU campus gems that I've been saving up to write about. Here goes! A week or so ago, I was walking from work to the library when I passed two guys who were wrapped up in conversation. In that split second of passing, I overheard one of them say, "...so I added a note saying, 'Those are not participles. They're adjectives." Wait, what?? Adjectives. Participles. Who are those people??

All I can say is, God DEFINITELY knows that I'm an English major and He definitely has a keen sense of timing, chance, and humor that sometimes results in funny run-ins like that. No matter who those guys were, I just laughed and laughed. Participles and adjectives... It was too perfect! Another day, I made my usual TacoBell run and after waiting for a bit, picked up my food and started weaving through the CougarEat, aiming for the table by the Christmas trees. Just seconds after sitting down, I felt someone approach my table and take the other chair. It was a girl, student-age like me, and she quickly addressed me, saying, "So I've been trying to verbalize the positive things I think, and I just have to tell you. When you walked by just now, I thought 'That girl is stunning!'" 

After saying that, she paused rather breathlessly and seemed to have come to the end of her preconceived plan. I was so surprised, pleased, and touched by her gesture. I thanked her and we spoke for just a moment before she ran back to her roommate with her goal accomplished. It made my day! I recommitted myself to say positive things and have had some warm-fuzzy moments because of that renewed effort. 


As for those Christmas thoughts, I've just been so impressed with the many special names and the different aspects of Christ as God's gift to us. He's called Counselor, the Prince of Peace, Everlasting Father, and Emmanuel. For me, He has been father, comforter, friend, counselor, example, companion, and so much more. I know I don't comprehend it all, but He is so important to me, and we're SO blessed to know His plan and to celebrate His birth! I like to think that the Savior wasn't just God's one-time present to the world, something that happened thousands of years ago. Rather, I believe that Christ is God's present to me this year, in these specific circumstances, in this specific time of my life. He is the very best that God could give, and the very best thing that I could hope to receive. 

Have a Merry Christmas! I love you all.

Erica Joy

You know finals make me crazy when they make me want to run.
Saben que los examenes me vuelven loca cuando quiero correr
Lunch in the Sky Room!! What a classy cousin.
Almuerzo con mi prima! Que guapa, cierto?




















Por los que quieren saber, hoy me siento BIEN, por algunas razones. Primeramente, terminé con mis exámenes finales! Escribiría más sobre eso y el gran alívio que siento, pero sería tan estereotípico y no lo voy a hacer. Segundo, asistí a dos programas sacramentales especiales para la Navidad hoy día, y mi amiga discursó en una sobre su misión. Me hizo reflexionar sobre la Navidad, y esos pensamientos me animan el corazón. Tercero, saben que estaban transmitiendo en la tele?? La Novicia Rebelde- -pero la versión acompañada!! Como puede ser que yo no sabía de eso antes?? Nada es iguál ahora. Más encima, mi mamá me hizo una comida navideña se llama un "cheese log" (tronco de queso? No creo que traduzca bien esa frase...) y lo comía mientras veía la pelicula. Linda la vida, no?

Pero no podemos olvidarnos de los momentos buenos que he estado guardando para compartirles, especialmente los de la universidád. Por ejemplo: hace una semana, me iba a la biblioteca después de mi trabajo, y pasé al lado de dos hombres que estaban hablando. Justo un ese segundo, un chico dijo al otro, "... entonces dejé una nota diciendo "Por favor, no son participios. Son adjetivos." Umm, una vez más, por fis? Participios? Y adjetivos? Quienes son ellos??? jaja

Me hace tan claro que Dios sabe que estudio el lenguaje y la gramatica, y seguramente El tiene un humor espectacular junto con su tiempo preciso. Ese momento fue perfecto, y me reía y reía.... Bueno. También, el otro día fuí a comer en un lugar publico de mi universidád , y después de buscar mi comida, me busqué una mesita cerca a los árboles de Navidad. De repente, se sentó una chica en la otra silla, y mi dijo rapidamente "Es que tengo una meta decir las cosas positivas en mi mente, y cuando la ví pasar, pensé "Que chica más linda!" 

Hablamos un poquito después, y le agradecé por venir y decirmelo. Fué tan lindo y me hizo sentir tan bien!! El otro que me hace sentir bien en este tiempo? La Navidad :) He estado pensando en los muchos nombres que damos al Salvadór. Principe de Páz, el Hijo de Dios, el Padre Eterno, Emanuel, etc. Para mi, ha sido Guia, Consolador, Amigo, Consejero, Ejemplo, Compañero, y mucho más. No entiendo todo, pero El es todo para mi, y somos tan bendecidos saber de su nacimiento y su plan. Me gusta pensar que el Salvador no fue solo una dádiva antigua, dado una vez hace miles de años, sino que es la dádiva que Dios me dará este año, especificamente para mi en mis necesidades actuales. Es lo mejor que Dios me podría dar, y lo mejor que podría recibir. 

Que tengan una linda Navidad! Les quiero-

Erica Joy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante