Skip to main content

Life Insurance / Assurance

How did those insurance commercials go again? You know, with those cute little kids playing on a bright green lawn, then all of a sudden growing up and needing to buy life insurance for their own sleeping newborn, a corny jingle, and then that all-knowing narrator saying "Life Comes at You Fast". I might volunteer as an extra in one of those; it seems such a fitting life slogan.

The first two weeks of the semester have already flown by and I'm trying to get a head-start on homework for the third. Lots of reading, lots of new people, names and homework assignments to remember, but there are also lots of invaluable late-nights talking to Brinley, my roommate, about the unfolding drama of our lives. I swear things happen faster here, leaving hardly enough time to process all of our increasing experiential development. My mind, heart, and soul are EXPLODING in the most positive, exciting and exhausting way possible.

After my first day of classes, I had to breathe deeply as I walked home in an attempt to inhale some self-control and exhale the bubbling wave of stress that seemed ready to consume me. I have never had such a need to organize my life like right now, and I've gotta be honest- Organization is not my strong point. Pragmatic details are not my strong point. I whispered my struggle to the Lord in exasperation and fear and walked faster to compensate for that feeling of powerless incapability that this semester suddenly forced upon me. I told him that I couldn't do it, but knew that I only had a few options if that was really how I felt. "If I can't do it, I have to ask Him for help." But then... "If I ask for help, I can't expect Him to do it all for me." And after some really aerobic activity jogging down the south-campus stairs, "Fine!! If I'm sincere in asking help, you better believe I'm going to commit myself and do my share of work. I WILL be organized and I WILL receive the help that I need for all the times that I fail." 

It kinda felt like I'd karate kicked my own pride-complex in the face and just decided to buckle down and face my weakness with all the energy I have. I love the Lord and don't want Him to swoop in and solve everything for me. He doesn't have to do that kind of work. After all, if I were perfectly well and able, would I want my earthly father to clean my bathroom for me? No! How embarrassing- that is something I can and should do for myself. This is the same. I know that God will make up the difference when I fall short, but not until I start trying to make a difference.

Needless to say, I bought myself an RM Planner. *sigh...* They're so tacky and so effective. As I have done my part to organize my life, I promise you that the Lord has done His part to relieve my burdens and keep my heart light. For example, the other day I was lamenting the sad lack of snowmen on campus. All that snow, and only one visible snowman in all my trekking across campus?? Boooo. Just as the thought crossed my mind, however, I glanced over and saw the word "Love" padded out in large, footprinted letters, smiling green through  a snowy white surface.

And then another time, when I worked frantically all night to finish my various readings and was beginning to feel overwhelmed, I pulled open my Book of Mormon just after midnight and found that the chapter of the day was 1 Nephi 21, all about the Atonement. Two days later, after some interesting social twists forced me to readjust some of my expectations and consider what I really want for myself, my reading fell to 2 Nephi 2. I could not have picked a better chapter; it was a timely reminder that I am not here to be acted upon, that I can choose how I will be, but that I must inevitably experience highs and lows if I want to appreciate both.

I have seen many answered prayers and I have felt my Spirit stretch and learn, just in the past two weeks. Life may happen fast, but its pace is exhilarating and its flow is instructive. And the best part?The gospel is the best life insurance :)

No sé si existen en español, pero aquí a veces hacen una propaganda para el seguro de vida que muestra algunos niños jugando, después creciendo, luego comprando seguro de vida por su bebé durmiente. Pronto sigue una canción publicitaría y las palabras ´La Vida Pasa Rápido´ o algo así. Creo que me inscribiré para estar en una de esas propagandas.... Es un buen lema, no?

Ya pasaron dos semanas del semestre, y estoy con tareas para la tercera semana. Hay tantas nombres para recordar, tantas personas nuevas, y tantas asignaciónes de la universidád, pero también hay muchas noches invaluables de conversación entre Brinley y yo (ella es mi compañera de cuarto) en la obscuridad. Les juro que la vida pasa más rapido que nunca, dejándome casí sin tiempo para pensar en cuanto estoy desarollando. Mi mente, alma, y corazón estan por EXPLOTAR en la manera más emocionante, agotante y positivo.

Después de mi primér día de clases, caminaba de vuelta a mi apartamento y intentaba respirar profundamente. Inhalo más autocontról, y exhalo el montón de estrés que casí me va a abrumar. Este semestre me requiere ser más organizada y presta que nuncá, y les tengo que admitir- la organicazión y la atención a los detalles no son fuerzas mías. Mientras caminaba, susurraba al Señor, contándole de mi frustración y mi impresión de que no podía hacerlo, y a la vez, sabía que si yo realmente pensaba eso, solo tenía una opción. ´Bueno, si no puedo hacerlo solo, tengo que pedirle ayuda al Señor.´ Pero después pensé, ´Pero si pido ayuda, no voy a esperar que haga todo por mi!´ Al bajar las escaleras eternas al sur de campus, me resigné ´Bueno! Necesito mucho ayuda pero créeme en esto- voy a trabajar muy duro para lograr todo esto. Vamos a hacerlo!!´

Al fijar esa decisión con Dios, me sentí como había dado una puñalada a mis sentimientos de orgullo y estrés. Amo a Dios y no quiero que tenga que hacer trabajo así solo porque no me aplico a las cosas difíciles. No es su función! Siendo capaz yo, nunca querría que mi padre mortal limpiara mi baño por mi. Que verguenza! Es trabajo mio, y es iguál en este situación. Sé que el Señor tiene que hacer mucho trabajo para que yo mejore, y quiero que haga ese trabajo en vez del trabajo simple de organizarme un poco mejor por este semestre.

Obviamente, me compré un nuevo agenda. Es muy feo, pero muy eficáz. jaja En cuanto yo he hecho mi parte para organizarme y esforzarme, he visto que el Señor hace su parte para aliviarme y alegrar mi corazón. Por ejemplo, había mucha nieve y me sentía triste que no habían muchos hombres de nieve en campus. Tanta nieve, y solo uno podía encontrar! Booo... Pero mientras pensaba eso, ví en la nieve la palabra ´Amor´, escrito muy grande con los pies de alguién muy paciente.

También, otro día trabajaba todo la noche para terminar todo mi lectura, y finalmente abrí mi Libro de Mormón un poco después de las 12. Me sentí cansada y un poco abrumada, pero ví que el capitulo del día era 1 Nefi 21, que se trata de la Expiación. Dos días después, algunas cosas pasaron en mi vida sociál y tenía que reajustar mis expectativas hacía otros y hacía mi misma. Justo me tocaba leer 2 Nefi 2, y no pude haber escogido un capitulo mejor. Fue un mensaje inspirado de mi poder para actuar, cambiar, y decidir lo que quiero ser, pero también de la necesidad de experimentar lo malo con lo bueno para apreciar los dos.

He visto tantas veces que mi Padre contesta mis oraciones, y he sentido el progreso de mi espiritu, aún en dos semanas. Cierto, la vida pasa rapido, pero también enseña y inspira, y sabes que más? El evangelio es el mejor seguro de la vida. jaja

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante