Skip to main content

Aaaaand she's back!

She meaning me, of course. I'm back, with a couple Thanksgiving updates and little miracles to share. 'Tis the season, right? So as Julie Andrews would say (or sing, rather) "Let's start at the very beginning... A very good place to start." .....
Empanadas!!!!! 
Yes, empanadas are the beginning. For those of you who don't know, they're a sort of Chilean hot-pocket type thing with either melted cheese, or a yummy meat mixture (called pino) on the inside. They can be fried or baked, and they're super yummy and we used to eat them all the time over in Chile! It just so happened that I was having a really rough day last week- one of my close friends was having a hard time and I stayed up the night before trying to help her, but I woke up the next morning with a feeling of frustration. Some things are just out of my hands, and this was one of those times where all I could really do was observe and share part of the suffering for my friend's wrong choices. The day seemed a long one, and finally it was time for family dinner. 

As we began to eat, the doorbell rang. Someone went to get it, and I heard a man's voice speaking my name, so I stood and went to the door. To my surprise, I found Brother Harrison, a stake high councilman with whom I had spoken in church just a few weeks before. When I first got a call from him, he joked that he'd chosen me because we both served our missions in Chile, and on the day of our talks, we chatted together about how things have changed, and how some things never do. Standing there on my doorstep, he said "My wife and I were making empanadas, and we thought you'd enjoy some. Have a great night!" He handed me two little baggies and hopped back in the car, not knowing that he'd touched my difficult day. It was a MIRACLE.

Other little miracles? Having friends and family that are willing to wake up and do a Turkey Bowl with me even on a cool wintry day. Filling the air with Christmas music during ward choir practice. Eating chocolate cream pie. Having my spirit tangibly lifted during the sacrament today, where I really felt forgiveness. Saying our family prayer this Thursday night and having a little whispered thought remind me that I was supposed to substitute a youth Sunday School class this Sunday. I had completely forgotten!  

Just little things, but I don't know what I'd do without them. Love you all!!
Erica Joy
Grandma and I at Thanksgiving Dinner
Mi abuela y yo, compartiendo en el día de acción de gracias
Bueno, supongo que ya saben todos como se ven las empanadas jaja Entonces no voy a incluir la foto que puse arriba para los gringos. Pero allí les cuento de estas dos semanas!

Es cierto que tiene algo que ver con las empanadas- de hecho, la semana pasada hubo un día medio malo para mi. Una amiga cercana está pasando por muchas dificultades, y una noche me quedé despierta muy tarde hablándole, tratando de ayudarle. Me desperté en la mañana, y me sentía frustrada que no podía hacer más, y que solo podía compartir en el sufrimiento de mi amiga, por algunas equivocaciones de ella. El día parecía pasar muy lento, pero al fin llegó el tiempo para cenar con mi familia. Comíamos, y de repente alguién tocó la puerta. Mi papá fue a contestarlo, pero al escuchar una voz de hombre decir mi nombre, fui a ver para mi misma. Era Hermano Harrison, de la estaba. Me había pedido semanas atrás discursar junto a él en otro barrio, y me dijo con sonrisa que me escogió porque él tambien sirvió su misión en Chile. Ese día de nuestros discursos, hablamos de todas las cosas que han cambiado, y de las muchas cosas que nunca lo hacen. Y allí estaba, ofreciéndome dos bolsitas, diciendo "Estabamos haciendo empanadas, y pensamos que te gustaría probarlos. Tengas una buena noche!" Me las pasó, y volvió al tiro a su auto, sin saber cuanto me conmovió el gesto, y cuan oportuno había sido ese momento. Fue un MILAGRO.

Algunas otros milagros pequeños? Tener a familia y a amigos que despiertan temprano para jugar futbol americano conmigo en el día de acción de gracias. Elevar a los cielos la musica de Navidád en la practica del coro de barrio. Comer pie de chocolate. Sentir un alivio real en mi espiritu hoy día durante la Santa Cena, al sentir perdón. Decir la oración familiar, y mientras yo hablaba, escuchar un sururro suave en mi mente, acordándome de que tenía que preparar una lección de escuela dominical para hoy día. Me había olvidado completamente! 

Son cosas mínimas, pero no se que sería mi vida sin ellas. Les quiero todos-
Erica Joy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante