Skip to main content

Conquering People Pleasing and the Endless To-Do's


Yesterday, a little Gru voice inside me said "Liiiightbulb!" (Despicable Me, anyone?) I've always been a "people pleaser". Not that I know how to define that... Google references the fear/guilt in saying "No" to people, and that sounds about right. I often agree to do things, and then 49% of the time I find myself overbooked and overwhelmed. Luckily, Mike is not this way, so by virtue of being married to him, I've managed to avoid some of these situations.


Lately I've been thinking about my "word of honor". If I say I'll turn the air conditioner on before Mike gets home from a run, then it doesn't matter if that's a small thing- I should do it! Following through on my word is one way to show people that they matter to me, and that I can be trusted.

Along with that goal comes a need for some reeeeeaal self-control. If I'm really going to uphold that word of honor, then I can't agree to do everything for anyone. No "people pleasing". And oddly enough, that applies not just to "people", but to me.

Because how often have I made a twenty item To-Do list in the morning and then felt like a failure because I only accomplished eight? Too often, I try to prove something to myself, earn approval from myself by accomplishing tasks. That doesn't make sense! Yet here I am, trying to commit to my word, yet failing to fulfill my own To-Do list.

And then the lightbulb: I can either seek to please all the time, promising to do everything and failing most of the time, or I can cut my checklist and aim for just a few things, but succeed all the time. The day that I first tried putting this into practice was EXTREMELY PRODUCTIVE, and I felt free from my usual burden of "What I Should Have Done Today, But Didn't..." I had committed to myself to do only three top-priority projects that day, and I did them. That day, my self-esteem sprang from the knowledge that I was committed to realistic self-expectations -- from being something instead of doing something.

And that felt great.





(Blog post repeated in Spanish below)





La verdad, mis amigos, es que no tengo tanta confianza que mi español será suficiente describir plenamente lo que quiero decir ahora. Pero haré el intento! Ahí arriba, empezé con una sita de la pelicula Mi Villano Favorito, pero no creo que tiene el mismo sentido al traducirlo. Sin embargo, disfruten este fóto de Gru 😊

En íngles a veces se dice que una persona es un ¨People Pleaser¨, o sea, que es una persona que hace cualquier cosa complacer a los demás, que le cuesta decir ¨No¨a las personas, que se siente culpable al no poder agradar a otros, etc. Yyyyyy la verdad es que soy así. Con suerte, Michael no lo es, y poder conversar con él me ha ayudado evitar muchas situaciónes estresantes.

De recién, tengo una meta de ser más comprometida a mi palabra. Si digo que prenderé el acondicionador antes de que Mike vuelve de correr, debo de hacerlo, aunque sea una cosa chica. Si prometo mandar una foto o receta a una amiga, hay que hacerlo, ¡y ya! Pienso que es una manera mostrar a los demás que les quiero, y que son importantes.

A la vez, esa meta me requiere muuuuuucho auto-control. Tengo el habito de prometer sin poder cumplir, al querer agradar a mis conocidos, pero si quiero ser comprometida y confiable, tengo que dejar el habito. ¡Y eso también se aplica a mi misma! Con eso, quiero decir que yo también trataba de ¨complacer¨ a mi misma-- intentaba ganar auto-estima al cumplir muchas proyectos o tareas durante el día. Así me sentía exitosa. Pero si no podía ni cumplir con lo que pedía de mi misma, ¿como podía hacerlo por los que me rodean?

Y allí vino mi momento de revelación-- yo podría prometer hacer todo y fracasar la mitad del tiempo, o podría prometer hacer la mitad de lo que quería, pero cumplir con todo eso. Al fondo, al prometer hacer menos, alcanzaría cumplir más. Hice una prueba, ¡y el día que yo actuaba así fue un día TAN EFICAZ! Lo mejor fue el sentimiento de libertad- no había la carga familiár de ¨Habían Cosas Que No Cumpliste Hacer Hoy Día...´¨ Ese día, mi auto-estima vino de la buena sensación de cumplir plenamente con mis expectativas. El sentimiento de tranquilidad no vino de hacer algo, sino de ser algo-- comprometida de manera razonable.

¡Qué alivio!

Comments

  1. Thank you for posting this, Erica! I really appreciate this idea! I want to work on this as well! I love the thoughts you share in your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante