Skip to main content

A Jolly Jello Jiggler

Now what is a Jello Jiggler, you might ask?

We'll get to that.

Little buddy has started eating solid foods- mashed up carrots, sweet potatoes and squash, which I mix with rice cereal and homegrown milk. He loves it! As I feed him, he kicks his chubby legs and lunges toward the spoon, a habit that is both messy and adorable. Here is where we come to the Jello Jiggler!

Mike and I were at the store, and I wanted to buy some new ice cube trays so that I could freeze little portions of mashed veggies for baby meals. Mike suggested just using one of our current ice trays, which clearly wasn't as fun as buying a new, special one for baby food... But it did appeal to my sense of economy, so I agreed. We got to the register and were chatting with the worker, when she suddenly said, "There are free Jello Jigglers at the other counter!", to which I responded "Oh, okay, thanks!", having no real idea what a Jello Jiggler was...

She asked her friend to pass us a mysterious jiggler, and lo and behold, it turned out to be this little yellow thing!  It was the perfect thing for freezing baby food, and I didn't even have to buy it! It felt like a little miracle, a show of love from the Heavenly Father of my little boy.

Here's another reason why that experience was cool:

Using the topical guide, I've been studying the many scriptural references to Jesus Christ, as suggested by Elder Nelson in this devotional address. Today I read about how Christ called his apostles- and I'll be honest, it seemed rather abrupt. The Matthew account (see highlighted verses near bottom) makes it sound like, "Hey fisher! Follow me!", which they do blindly. Why would they drop their nets, leave their father, and follow a random stranger on the beach? After reading Luke and John, however, I changed my mind. Andrew heard the Savior teach, stayed in his home, and then ran to share the news with his brother. That brother, Simon, was the recipient of a very personal miracle from the Savior- one that filled his nets with fish and his heart with wonder. THAT was why they chose to follow Him.

This is one reason why gratitude is SO important for me. As I recognize the personal miracles that my Heavenly Father and Savior do for me each day (Jello Jiggler!!), it turns my heart and makes it easier to follow them. It helps me leave behind less important things and find greater happiness by living a more Christ-centered life. Just as the Savior crafted individual, personal miracles for Andrew and Simon Peter, He does the same for me and you.




(Blog post repeated in Spanish below)



Bueno! Dí el título de ´Jello Jiggler' por una razón especifica. 'Y qué es esa razón?', me preguntarás? Ya que quieren saber, les cuento la historia.

¡Mi hijito ya está comiendo sus verduras! Hago puré de la zanahoria, el camote, y el zapallo, y los mezclo con mi leche casera jeje y cereal. ¡Le encanta!! Cuando le doy de comer, patea sus piernas rollizas y arremete por la cuchara. Como resultado, nos ensuciamos y yo me río mucho. Ay, la vida de mamá 😄

Ya venimos al Jello Jiggler. El otró día, Michael y yo fuimos de compras, y yo quería comprar una cubitera para la comida del bebé. (Así, la preparo de antemano y la dejo congelar). Michael sugerió que simplemente usamos una que ya tenemos, aún si no tendría el mismo sentimiento... Con un poquíto de decepción, accedé y fuímos para la caja. Al conversar con la tendera, ella díjo de repente, ´Puedes sacar un Jello Jiggler de la caja al lado! Son gratis!´ Y respondé, ´Uh, okay, graciás!´porque no tenía idea de que hablaba. Jello Jiggler? La tendera habló con su amiga y nos trajo este cuestión amarillo. Se parece demasiado a una cubitera, no?? Aún si originalmente fue hecho para gelatina, me sirvió perfectamente para la comida del bebe. Fué una muestra de amor de Padre Celestial, y un milagro personal!
También me sirvió la experiencia por otra razón.

Recientemente, he estado estudiando las referencias a Jesu Cristo en la guía para el estudio de las Escrituras. (Elder Nelson recomendió que todos lo hacen en este discurso.) Hoy día leí en Mateo (los versiculos amarillos al final del capitulo) como Cristo llama a sus apostoles, y ser sincera, parece un poco brusco. ´Oye, siguenme.´y ya. Pero los cuentos en Lucas y Juan me ayudaron entender un poco más. Empieza con Andres. Escucha a las palabras de Cristo, se siente el Espiritu Santo, y después recibe la invitación pasar la noche en la casa de Cristo también. Al tiro quiere compartir las noticias con su hermano, y Jesus también va con él. Simón, el hermano, también recibe su milagro personál, una que llene sus redes con pez, y su corazón con el espiritu. Por las experiencias así, Andres y Simon Pedro se volvieron discipulos de Cristo.

No soy tan distinta! Me afiero a la gratitud porque me ayuda ver a los milagros personales (como el Jello Jiggler) que mi Padre Celestial y Salvador me dan. Al verlos, se enblandece mi corazón y me hace más facil de vivir el evangelio. Ser discipulo de Cristo es vivir de una manera más feliz. Como no hacerlo? Siempre puedes encontrar los milagros personales, y invitaciones seguir a Cristo, en tu vida, tal como los encuentro en la mía, o de Andres y Simón Pedro.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante