Skip to main content

The Miracle of Forgiveness (**Warning: I am not an apostle**)

Other warning: I'm actually not going to copy anything from the Miracle of Forgiveness. Just the title. But this week is definitely a bullet-point week. Here it goes:

1. Somehow, my homework load was super light this week- lighter than it has been all semester. I know it was divinely arranged, because it gave me just enough time to prepare for my lesson and talk. Amazing!

2. In my Latin ballroom class, we've been planning all semester  to compete in BYU Dancesport. (I'm going pro, people!) When it came time for choosing partners, however, all the boys were taken... So I was going to have to compete in a different event, a different time and day. It just so happened that this particular event happened to overlap with two of my classes, one of which I absolutely could not miss that day. (It was literally the one day all semester that I was going to get individual participation points.) After a long suspenseful interim, I finally found out that I can do a make-up assignment instead of competing. Grade saved!

3. The more interesting detail of the week. On Thursday, two significant people from my past contacted me, both with a similar purpose. They come from two completely different parts of my life, and really have nothing in common, nor have I had much contact with either of them in the recent past. They told me that they'd been thinking about life, and the interactions that I've had with them. And you want to know what? They both asked me for forgiveness.

I was surprised as I read the messages, because I really didn't think I needed to forgive them of anything. The past is just the past, and we are all doing the best we can in any given moment. I didn't have anything against them- on the contrary, they are both dear to me for the things we've shared. It baffled me, also, that they'd written me on the same day, both expressing the same desire for my forgiveness. MY forgiveness! Honestly, who am I to weigh on someone else's mind like that? The things they spoke of happened years ago, and I hope I never made them feel like they were doing me wrong.

The point is, there is NO WAY that was a coincidence. It turned my thoughts directly to God, in a silent reverence and awe. Why? Why now? Why those two people? Why would He have them ask that of me? To teach me, or them, or both? And what did He want to teach? To be honest, I still don't know the answer. It may just have been a poignant moment of truth, where the soul is really all that matters, and where change does exist, and where love and true regard is the thing that wins out in the end. Their honest words humbled me. Perhaps, with more time, I'll know exactly why God touched them both in that way, and what He meant me to learn.

For now, I'm still puzzling...

Erica Joy
Nada que ver- aquí estoy acompañando a Sydney en su tur de la biblioteca.
Unrelated note- Here I am going on Syd's library tour with her.

Bueno. Este semana definitivamente requiere una lista para cubrir todo.

1. Por la primera vez del semestre, no tenía mucha tarea! Me pareció un poco raro, pero sé que fue ordenado por el Señor, porque me dió el tiempo necesario preparar mi lección y discurso para hoy.

2. En mi clase de baile latino, hemos planificado todo el semestre para la competicion de Dancesport en BYU. (Soy experta, que puedo decir... ) Pero cuando vino el tiempo escoger los parejas, todos los hombres ya tenían alguién. Booo.... Iba a tener que competir en otra tipe de baile, otro dia, y justo coincedía con dos de mis clases. En una de ellas, yo tenpia que estar allí si o si, porque era el unico día que yo iba a recibir puntos de participación. Después de contactar a mi profesora y esperar muuuuucho tiempo, supe que no tendré que competir en eso evento y que podré asistir a otro. Siiiii.. Mis notas se salvaron!

3. Creo que este será lo más interesante. El jueves, dos personas importantes de mi pasado me contactaron, con un proposito similár. Eran de aspectos muy diferentes de mi vida y tiene casi nada en común, y tampoco he tenido mucho contacto con ellos recientemente. Los dos mencionaron que habían estado pensando sobre la vida, y las interacciónes que he tenido con ellos. Y saben que más? Me pidieron perdón.

Me sorprendieron los mensajes, ya que yo no sentía que realmente necesitaba perdonarlos por nada. El pasado ya pasó, y simplemente hacemos lo mejor que podemos hacer en un cierto tiempo. No tenía nada contra ellos- al contrario. son muy queridos para mi por todas las cosas que hemos compartido. Me desconcerté un poco que me habían escrito el mismo día, los dos buscando mi perdón. MI perdón!? Quién soy yo para pesar la mente de alguién en esa forma? Los cosas que mencionaron pasaron hace años, y ojalá esa necesidad de recibir perdón no vino por ningúna acción mio.

El punto es, eso NO PUEDE SER una coincidencia. Me hizo pensar inmediatemente en Dios, con reverencia y asombro. Porqué? Porqué ahora? Porqué esas dos personas? Porqué les hizo pedirme una cosa asi? Me quiere enseñar a me, o a ellos, o a las dos? Y que querría enseñar? Ser sincera, todavía no sé. Quizás era simplemente un momento de la verdad, en que solemente importa el alma, en que el cambio es posible, y el amor y el respeto sincero triunfan al final. Las palabras sinceras de esas mensajes me hicieron sentir humilde y curiosa. Quizás, con más tiempo, sabré lo que yo tenía que haber aprendido con todo esto, y lo que me querría enseñar Dios.

Por ahora, me quedo pensando...

Erica Joy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante