Skip to main content

Whispers...(o sea, Susurros)

Hello friends!

It is FALL!!!! This week I really began to feel the season. Are you feeling it?? Those piles of crackly leaves, the quick breezes, the cold sunshine... LOVE IT.

Besides that fall breeze, want to know what else has been whispering? Little blurbs of love and happiness and college romance. Not in my life, of course. (Once again, faking you all out. Sorry. Keep waiting patiently with me.) But to someone even better!! I just love it when my dear, crazy mission companion becomes really, really happy. There is nothing better than a Cougar-Eat luncheon, munching chips and listening as the life of my dear friend develops exactly as she's always dreamed. I really love that.

And besides that sticky sweet romance, what else has been whispering?? Well this one really does apply to me. There are always those whispers of "You're still failing at this or that..." and "Shouldn't you be doing homework instead of hanging out with your sisters or going to the Relief Society activity?" and also "Sometimes you're such a hypocrite for encouraging others when you struggle with the same stress or perfectionism that they do."

Yep, those whispers are still there.

But guess what ELSE has been whispering? Something more along the lines of "Just remember what you know."  "Hold to all I've helped you feel." and  "You are mine, and this is My house. You are working as I wish." Those are the whispers of the temple, and they pierce ever so much deeper than the rest. They have a longer echo, too.

Can't you hear it?

--All yours,
Erica Joy

!Hola amigos!

Ya vino el OTOÑO!!! Este semana realmente pude sentirlo. Lo pueden sentir?? Esas hojas secas que corren en la calle, el viento juguetón, los rayos fríos del sol... ME ENCANTAN.

Pero al lado de los susurros del viento, qué más está susurrando? Bueno, cachitos de amor, felicidad, y el romance de la universidad. No en mi vida, obvio. (Otra vez les decepciono. Disculpe. Sigue esperando pacientemente junto conmigo,) Pero a alguien más!! Me encanta cuando mi compañera querida y loca se tapa de repente con la felicidad. No hay nada mejor que un almuerzo en la cafetería de BYU, una bolsa de papas fritas, y poderse escuchar mientras la vida de mi amiga desarolla tal como ella siempre soñaba, Me hace muy, muy felíz.

Bueno, más que esos susurros de amor, que más susurra? Este vez me aplica a mi. Siempre hay esos susurros de  "Todavía estás fracasando en tal cosa." o  "No debes estar estudiando en vez de pasar tiempo con tus hermanitas, o en ir a la actividad de la Sociedad de Socorro?" Aún  "Eres hipócrita por animar a otros cuando luchas con eso mismo estrés o perfeccionismo que ellos."

Si po. Esos susurros todavía estan allí.

Pero adivinen- Que más ha estado susurrando? Algo que dice asi  "Simplemente recuerda lo que sabes."   "Guarda lo que te he ayudado sentir."  y  "Eres mio, y este es mi casa. Estás trabajando tal como yo quiero."  Esos son los susurros del templo, y llegan más al corazón que cualquier otro. Tienen un eco más duradero, tambien.

Lo pueden escuchar?

--Besitos siempre,
Erica Joy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Peace I Cannot Buy

I tried to build a fence up in the sky To gather in a realm of my control. A boundary, I hoped, would satisfy My need to understand, to do, to know. I placed a willing god up in the sky Who let me win his blessings and his love. I did my part, and he would then comply By show’ring chosen favors from above. But then a day when all the light blue sky— It fell in broken pieces on the ground. I couldn’t fix it, find a reason why. And from the empty heavens, not a sound. I mourned and suffered, looked up at the sky. I’d kept my rules, but still I faced this pain. My tidy, righteous living did not buy The blessings or the peace I hoped to gain. The real God saw my fences in the sky And knew my fear of giving up control. My pride, it sat between the Lord and I, But waiting there, He yearned to touch my soul. And only when I crouched ‘neath shattered sky Could I begin again to know His face. My helplessness inspired me to try To tru

The Saved Are Also Saving

My babe turned blue. We called. They came with badges, boxes, more. I kneeled beside my ash-gray babe, laid still upon the floor. The sheriff introduced himself and other county men, for all the local officers were mourning Shinners then. He'd died. My babe, he breathed again. Somehow, I'd never thought that daily, some are working jobs so hand in hand with God. I shuddered- through my broken soul came wisps of man's divine-- He gives himself for someone else, for little ones like mine. They heal, protect, give hope, give life. They do their work like Him. While some are given chances, others are giving them. It broke and healed my mother's soul-- I could not save my son. But when we called, they came. They came... to save my little one.

Blessings and "God's Time"

Caleb's near-death experience in January left me with a lot of emotional and spiritual trauma to work through. I prayed and studied the scriptures extensively, slowly identifying why I still felt so insecure even after Caleb's recovery. I realized several important things. 1. Subconsciously, I had expected my gospel living to result in specific blessings: a happy marriage, healthy and safe children, etc. Those expectations went unchallenged for a while, but then my two-week-old baby stopped breathing. And didn't really start breathing again for another 10 days. 2. As a result of those shattered expectations, I felt betrayed by God. This was hard to admit to myself. I knew He was still aware of me, but I was confused and hurt. Why had He allowed me to suffer when I had tried so hard to be righteous? I thought of this as I watched the YA Face to Face on Sunday. One of the last questions echoed mine. Why are the righteous denied certain blessings? That young adult wante